The instructions by the vehicle manufacturer must be followed for the installation of the new battery. Please also note the information from the battery manufacturer in the booklet for the safe handling of batteries. To prevent reverse polarity, the arrangement of the positive and negative terminals should be noted before removing the old battery. Of course, the engine must also be turned off and key removed.
1. Before starting work on the battery, please put on protective glasses. Avoid direct contact with any battery acid which may have escaped.
2. First remove the ground cable. This safely prevents a short circuit between the positive terminal and the vehicle body.
3. Check the battery compartment for corrosion. Also thoroughly inspect the brackets for rust and damage. Clean the battery compartment and repair as necessary. Corrosion in the area of the battery can indicate leaked battery acid. In this case a workshop should investigate the reason for this.
4. Remove surface rust and dirt from the battery terminal clamps, as this causes increased contact resistance and therefore considerable malfunctions or premature battery failure.
5. Take care that the terminal clamps are firmly fitted in order to eliminate contact interruptions due to vibrations. When connecting the terminal clamps, care must also be taken that the battery terminals are not damaged by torsion or other mechanical stresses.
6. Take care that the battery is properly seated on installation. Tighten the clamps with a torque wrench. The correct torque can be found in the vehicle manual.
7. Before connection, check the correct polarity of the cables again. First connect the red cable to the positive terminal and then connect the black ground cable to the negative terminal.
After the battery replacement it might me necessary to recalibrate internal car systems such as airbags, sensors and other comfort functions. This is especially true for more modern cars that are equipped with lots of technical systems or start stop. For such cars it is advisable to let the battery replacement be handled by a professional garage.